History of Battery Park City
Battery Park City sits on the southwest side of downtown Manhattan and is bordered by the Hudson River to the west and the Financial District to the east. Careful planning in the 1970s transformed this area into the residential community it is today.
During the 1990s, there was a boom of development as schools, public parks, residential buildings, and commercial buildings filled up Battery Park City.
Today, this once vacant land has become an oasis in downtown Manhattan filled with green space.
The Vibe of Battery Park City
Battery Park City has peaceful parks, clean streets, and waterfront views. The neighborhood has a calm, clean, and well-maintained feel. Residential buildings in Battery Park City are mostly upscale high-rise condos with plenty of amenities.
The peaceful parks, waterfront view, and laid-back vibe of the neighborhood make Battery Park City the perfect escape from the crowds of Manhattan.
Unique Features of Battery Park City
The neighborhood has a tight-knit community that hosts many events throughout the year. Charity walks, dance festivals, nature tours, outdoor movie nights, and concerts are commonplace here.
Because of this, Battery Park City residents are fairly well-connected and you’ll often see them bumping into a friend or neighbor while strolling down the street.
In Battery Park City, you can enjoy a quiet community in the heart of downtown Manhattan.
Things To Do in Battery Park City
There is plenty to do around the neighborhood, especially if you are looking for something slower-paced and relaxing. Here are just a few of our favorite things to do in Battery Park City:
- The Esplanade: This picturesque path runs the length of Battery Park City and offers views of the Statue of Liberty, beautiful gardens, and public art installations.
- Brookfield Place: A beautiful luxury complex with high-end shopping, food, and wellness amenities makes for the perfect destination for people of all ages.
- Pier A: First opened in 1886, this historic pier is now a 28,000 square-foot dining destination right on the Hudson River. We suggest dining at sunset for some unbelievable sights!
Top Food Choices in Battery Park City
- Blue Smoke: Craving some comfort food? Barbecue is served family-style at this lively Southern-inspired restaurant.
- BlackTail Bar: Housed in Pier A, this Cuban seafood bar is popular with both locals and New Yorkers from around the city.
- El Vez: This casual Mexican restaurant stands out with its welcoming atmosphere, classic menu, and an expansive list of mezcals and tequilas.
Top Three Things We Love About Battery Park City
1. River Views: You can enjoy unique views of the Hudson River, Statue of Liberty, and New Jersey from the comfort of your neighborhood parks.
2. Location: Only moments away from the Financial District and the rest of Lower Manhattan, Battery Park City is in an optimal location.
3. Luxury: Residents in Battery Park City compare the neighborhood to a luxury resort because of its well-maintained public spaces and high-end amenities.